Monday, June 23, 2014

Total Score


Class was such a freaking blur! I had three classes on that first day. English composition, Art History II, and Spanish. So, basically nothing that I really cared about. I had decided at the ripe old age of 7 I wanted to be an event planner. I watched a chick flick with my mom and told her that. And in some weird, obsessive, nonsensical way, I’ve kept that as my dream. My parents asked me to major in PR, so at least I could have a broad range of work opportunities and not strictly “wedding planner.” I think it is a pretty fair compromise. I mean, they are forking over tons in tuition. They can have a little say in some things.
After class, I text Ree to see if she was doing anything. She told me to pop over to her dorm in a few minutes. She didn’t exactly tell me what we were doing, but I really didn’t care either. I was about to burst if I didn’t tell someone about what happened the night before.
I searched my room for a snack, and Candace walked in. She sighed heavily. I could tell she wanted to talk about something. However, I wasn’t her friend and she had made it clear she didn’t want to be friends. When she scoffed and threw her bag on the desk, I knew I had to ask. I reached into my snack cabinet and offered her a fruit snack. “How was your day?” I said cautiously.
“You know, just really shitty. Like, really shitty. I walked into my French lecture and who do you think I saw? Of course Jarrett was in there! I thought he transferred! What is he doing in a freshman level French lecture?” She fumed and paced.
“Well, it’s a graduation requirement. Maybe he just didn’t take it his first year.” I was so totally lost. I had no idea who Jarrett was or what kind of consequence he had on Candace’s life.
She snacked on the gummies ferociously with anger. “Look, thanks for the snack. I’ve got to call Brittany. You understand?” She gave me a nasty face. She didn’t have to tell me twice, and I left to go find Ree.
Ree and Ashley were sitting in their room reading magazines. They were so lucky. They were two normal, fun girls living together. I didn’t have that luxury. I was stuck with a weird, bizarre, poorly scripted teen movie.
Ree invited me to sit down on her bed and look at her Glamour with her. “My classes were so weird today. One professor even started lecture. Who does he think he is? This is syllabus week. Get it together!”
I giggled with Ashley. She admitted all of her teachers gave lecture. Luckily none of mine did much in the way of lecture, but I wasn’t about to divulge that. I couldn’t be the only one who had a decent, albeit boring syllabus day. And then, rather abruptly Ashley said she needed to get to volleyball practice.
Ree looked at me knowingly. “So, when were you going to tell me about Mark? You hussy!” She gave a big laugh.
I just shook my head. “We just had dinner last night. But after dinner was... well...” I was searching for words when Ree interrupted.
“Hot? Steamy? World rocking? Give me something!”
I then gave her a play by play of what happened. “This morning was adorable. He woke me up for the sunrise. He said that it wasn’t as beautiful as I was, but he wouldn’t forgive himself if he let me miss it. We walked outside and sat on the quad and talked for a bit. He walked me back to my room and kissed me. Then after my first class he text me that he hoped I was having a good first day. It’s so weird. I never expected him to be so sweet, especially when he seemed so party-guy at first.”
Ree clapped her hands and squealed with delight. “I love this! And his sister is the Beta Nu rush chair? This is like fate! Are you seeing him again?”
I shook my head. “He asked to hang out tonight, but I don’t want to seem too available. I told him you, me, and Yvonne were going to dinner.”
She nodded knowingly. “Good call. You can’t be too available at first. But, I don’t think it’s going to make a big difference with him. He seems to love you.”
I laughed. “You’re insane. He surely doesn’t love me.” Just then I got a text from my mom.
Rush chair just called Aunt Mary. She said you’ve been dating her brother! She seems very excited about this romance budding! She called you a ‘total score.’ Mary assured me that was a good thing. Excellent tactic! Way to secure a bid! As if you weren’t a shoe-in already! Love you! Xxo
I cringed. I let Ree read the incriminating text. I knew then I had some damage control to do. But I didn’t know what I could do. I didn’t want to soil my reputation with the Beta Nu’s. But I also didn’t want to confirm to my mom that I’d been seeing someone. And I certainly didn’t want her thinking it was for a bid.
Well, we’ve hung out a bit. I’m not sure if it’s anything. But tell Aunt Mary I said hi! Love to you both! I’ll call you tomorrow after tea!
Tea was the first party of rush, and it was the night you just went from house to house for 20 minutes and said hello. It was crucial to meet the who’s who at that thing. It sealed your fate. Mary and Mom had gotten me photos of the executive council at Beta and I was to make sure to shake their hands and thank them for having me. I swear all this pressure could drive a girl to drinking.
“Hey Ree, how about pizza, wine, and My Best Friend’s Wedding tonight?”
“That sounds perfect. Let me just grab my fake ID!”

1 comment:

  1. Sound fun.. Can't wait to see what happen next, can't wait to hear more about her and Mark.. Thanks for explaining what the Rush stuff was in the last post comments I never went to a college so I had no clue at all but I will understand more now!!

    ReplyDelete