Thursday, June 26, 2014

What a rush

I was standing in a line about to witness what I had been told would be the most startling welcome to any dwelling ever. I was so nervous. The Rho Gammas (recruitment guides-they’re girls who are initiated in sororities and give up their affiliation to help the rushees—excuse me Potential New Members get from house to house and make decisions on rankings) had told us to expect a lot of wild emotion from the members, but that they couldn’t really prepare us for the hysteria that would break out in that doorway.  Ree, Yvonne and I had all been placed in different recruitment groups. It was probably for the best. We would have stuck together in a pod if given the chance, I think. Ashley wasn’t going through recruitment since her coach thought sorority life took too much time away from volleyball. To that I say live a little, but that isn’t my shot call. Of course I was the 2nd in line in my group, so I was right up front for all the action. They were supppppper picky about us being in line alphabetically. Mary said it’s so the right girl picks us up at the door. It all seems so scripted. Why can’t I just walk in?
As I was lost in my own thoughts the door swung open and smiling faces and clapping hands were everywhere. Everything was a big blur of thick southern accents made to sing silly Pop 40 songs altered to say the chapters name over and over. I was standing in front of the Omicron Delta Phi house. ODP was known as the party girls. Ree had been rushed hard by them over the summer. Her cousin had gone to school here 5 years ago and visited the chapter, so a few of the girls remembered her. And wanted her. Bad.
I stammered in slowly. I was so overwhelmed with the insane volume and commotion. How was I expected to carry on a conversation with all this talking, singing, clapping, and stomping happening? Did my hostess say her name was Martha? Barbara? I didn’t know. I just nodded. “Kathleen, pleased to meet you!”
Finally we got to sit down. Then, Martha (or maybe Barbara?—I still didn’t know, and I couldn’t read her name tag because her hair was too long) walked away from me, promising to be right back. I was stunned. How poorly was I doing that she’d leave me right on entry? I did my nervous thumb flicking thing. I was searching the room, looking at all the other girls. It looked like they were still getting taken to their seats. They still had hostesses. Why was I sitting alone?
Before I made a spectacle of myself, I just looked down at my feet. How did this happen? What did I do? Did this have anything to do with me “dating” Mark? Was I dating Mark? Oh shit! Mark! I forgot to text him back before this thing started! I wish they’d let me bring my cell phone, then at least I could have something to do. Good Lord, what did I do? Should I get up and find the Rho Gamma guide? Does she even know what to do in this case? Has anyone else been left by the chapter hostess before? I’m so sure this has only ever happened to me. I just want to leave. But I can’t make a scene. Please just let—
Just then a loud song began to play and all the ODPs were dancing and singing. I couldn’t hear a word they were saying, if I’m being honest. I heard “fun parties,” “study sessions” and “semi-formal.” Okay, well good start. At least now I was relieved. All the girls had been left by their hostesses, not just me. One girl in front of me was really excited about this. She must have been a legacy. She was clapping and dancing and making a fool of herself.
Finally, the song ended and Darla!! That is her name! I can see her nametag now! Darla came back to me. She showed me the chapter room, the study, the dining room, and the kitchen. Along the way I met a few other members. They were all pleasant, but I don’t remember a single one’s name. Darla was very kind. She wasn’t at all pushy or awkward. You could just tell she really loved her sorority and she wanted everyone else to love it just as much. It was kind of endearing, I’d never been that crazy about anything before.  And just as soon as I was getting the hang of this whole party ordeal, we had to leave.
Oh my god. I have to do this 4 more times. Are you kidding me? This night is going to get pretty exhausting. I can feel it. Delta Alpha was next. It was just as same as the first. This time I was more prepared for the clapping, the leaving me to sing, and the excessive introductions. By the time I got to Theta Rho Chi I was an old pro! My enthusiasm was waning when I entered Chi Tau, but I kept my game face on.
As luck would have it, my last house of the night was Beta. I was putting on my best real, fake smile. I was ready for the clapping, the commotion and the singing. I was not fazed at all when I walked in with a gorgeous brown haired, green eyed goddess I knew I’d seen before she walked up to me. I figured I recalled her from all the photos my aunt and mom had shoved in my face, but I couldn’t place her. President? No she’s blonde. Social chair had a beauty mark. Chaplain looked mousy. Gosh... Who is this? “Hi Kathleen! I’m Leslie. It’s really nice to meet you! My brother Mark has talked so highly of you!”
I thought I was going to be sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment