Thursday, August 21, 2014

Bagels & Boys


Luckily after announcing that Leslie’s boyfriend sucked she smiled at me and nodded. “He can sometimes. He’s been a real jerk the past few weeks. I’m sorry you’re meeting him like this. I had the same impression of him, too. As did Mark. And my parents. You’re not alone. Luke is kind of like beer, ar first you turn up your nose, but it soon becomes something you quite enjoy.”

Phew, talk about your dodged bullets. After that, Mark tripped on a bar stool, so I took McSloppyFace back to bed. As I was taking off my pants and snuggling into bed with him and grabbed me. “I like that you assume you’re staying here.”

I shrugged. “If you want to ask the half-naked girl to leave your room, be my guest.” I laughed and he showed me just how grateful he was to have me in his bedroom.

Friday we all nursed our hangovers. Ree, Yvonne, Gwen, Ashley and I went to Panera at the Summit around noon to have bagels and coffee. We were radically underdressed than all the other Vestavia and Mountain Brook women shopping for their children and husbands. I didn’t mind it much, though. I was used to coast living; we could get away with wearing a ball gown or cutoffs.

Ree told us about the ODP party she went to the night before. She met a guy and asked him to her pledge party the next weekend. They had a class together, but never really spoke before. She said she didn’t think she’d keep him around long, but I have a suspicion she’s just being bashful. She lit up when she talked about him. I wish I could remember his name though? I’m awful.

Ashley said there was some intense volleyball drama because two girls were kicked off the team for drinking the night before a game. Ashley was worried it’d get back to her coach that she’d been drinking, so she’d sworn it off for the rest of the season. I didn’t anticipate them being so strict about that stuff, but when they’re paying you to play a sport, I guess they expect your best. Ashley didn’t seem bothered or upset, she just wanted us to know she wasn’t trying to be a flake or loner. I commend her ability to tell us she wasn’t going to drink anymore. I would have definitely just hung out with us still to be assimilated to the group. She’s her own person though. And I admire that.

Gwen, Yvonne and I just blabbered on about our pledge party the following night. Yvonne and Rich had made out the night before. Apparently she didn’t go upstairs with that GZ, she went to find Gwen who had run to find beer. Oddly, beer led to Gwen finding her own GZ and she stayed with him that night. She felt horrible the next morning, because of her boyfriend. She called him and told him the whole thing. She told him she had blacked out, which was kind of the truth. He wasn't mad, she said. He was glad she was honest and promised to make an effort to call her more.

Ashley had to get back for a practice, so we dropped her off at the gym while we all went back to our respective beds. Lucky for me, not that I minded Candace’s presence much anymore, she went home for the weekend. I crawled in my bed, turned down the blackout shades, and slept for a couple of hours. I woke up to my phone buzzing incessantly. I had two missed calls and five texts. Calls were from Mom, but three of the texts were from Mark.

Hey, want to get dinner?

Okay, I guess you’re busy. Text me later.

Sweetheart, I haven’t heard from you all day, and you left without waking me. Are we ok?

I called him, too exhausted to text him an explanation. “Are you mad?” He answered.

“No, Mark. I was taking a nap.”

“For three hours?”

I laughed. “Long night. You should know...”

He sighed. “Well, someone was an early riser. Had she just stayed in bed, like a good girl, I would have been less worried.”

“Okay, Mr. Guilt Trip, got it. Want to come over? I’m not moving from my bed anytime soon, but you can come over.”

“Sure. I need to talk to you about some stuff anyway.” He hung up and I was miffed. He knocked and let himself in my door not 5 minutes later. “Hey baby girl.” He spoke as he squeezed into bed with me.

I didn’t mince words. “What do we need to talk about?”

He looked stunned. “Luke.”

I slapped my face in shame. “Look, I’m sorry. I spoke out of turn. I was kind of drunk. I am sorry.”

He shook his head. “No, don’t be. We don’t like him. We tolerate him. For Leslie. She’s convinced she can help him or fix him or something. I don’t know. But, after 4 months we stopped fighting his mood swings, his outbursts at dinner, his rude comments, his crass nature. It just became something we put up with. I just wish I’d told you sooner. He’s never at the house, so I didn’t think you’d ever come in contact with him, honestly.”

I nodded. “I’m sorry. Does he at least treat Leslie well?”

She shrugged. “No. He yells at her, calls her stupid. His dad treated his mom like that. However, unlike Leslie, Luke’s mom wised up and left. It’s just sad. Leslie could do a lot better, she just doesn’t want to. He will never propose, so at least that’s a good thing.”

I hugged him. “I’m sorry, Mark.” I kissed him and we took another wonderful nap.

5 comments:

  1. It would be nice if you responded to comments. It sucks that Leslie has an awful man. Kathleen needs to mind her own business and let Mark and his family deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try when I can or when I think the comment warrants it. However if y'all are discussing plots or opinions I don't want to spoil the fun with my input. I'm sorry you think I'm ignoring you! I appreciate all the comments, readers and followers!

      Delete
    2. Like the previous post I asked if Kathleen was an only child and no answer. I get that you're busy and can't answer every comment but it would be nice if you answered questions.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry you felt ignored, that wasn't my intent. Classes started this week and I'm a bit behind. I honestly can't even remember if I read that comment. I appreciate you're patience though. And yes, she is an only child.

      Delete
  2. I was into the blog in the beginning even though I didn't get the sorority stuff but lately I'm losing interest in the childish drama. Freshman year in college is about finding yourself, missing home, making friends, going out, having the time of your life, cramming fit tests, writing papers the night before they're due, growing. Poor Kathleen is a freshman in a relationship and already getting into his family drama. It seems unrealistic and boring.

    ReplyDelete