Monday, August 4, 2014

Dinner for Schmucks


My first pledge class meeting was so overwhelming. All these super anxious girls in a room. Excitedness just bubbled out of everyone’s face. We were all so wound up we couldn’t even shut up.

Finally the New Member Coordinator, we affectionately called her Mom, stood in front of us in the chapter room, silence spread. “Okay Beta-Women-to-Be, y’all are about to have the most fun 8 week pledgeship and I’m going to help you every step of the way to initiation!” And just like that the room erupted.

I was sitting next to Yvonne and her friend, Gwen. I knew several of the other girls, but none well enough to sit by them. Hopefully it’ll get better as I get more engrained in the group. I just have a hard time going out of my way to meet people. Luckily, I had a 45 girls my year who would hopefully be eager to my friend. We got a list of events we were scheduled to be at. We weren’t “made” to go to anything, but we had to have so many activity points before we could go to formal. Points came from chapter meeting, volunteering, sisterhood events, swaps, and other things.

Rachel, the new member mom, told us our first swap would be the following Thursday at the Gamma Zeta house. The GZ boys had a bit of a wild persona. Two or three of their pledges were in my class, and they were rowdy. And that’s putting it politely.

I was excited to experience my first swap though. I mean, I had seen it in the movies, and it looked all so exciting, impressive, and wild. I wanted to be a part of that. Yvonne leaned over to me while I was deep in thought about what would happen at this mixer only days away, “Earth to Kathleen! Can you help me find a date to our pledge party next Saturday?”

I looked at her. “Allen?” The topic had clearly changed to our pledge party, and I of course didn’t follow it. Pledge Party was a casual dance each chapter had in the first month or so of school. It was usually somewhere low key, like a hotel in town. It wasn’t as big of a deal as formal, which was usually held at big venues like a wedding might be.

She scowled. “We haven’t talked since bid day. He called me two nights ago plastered saying he missed me in a voicemail. It was weird. On to the next one...”

I laughed. “Well, Mark has this friend at Theta. Rich. He’s a total doll. Want me to see if Mark thinks he’ll be interested? He’s also even cuter than my boyfriend, which is saying a lot. Since we know he’s GORGEOUS!” I couldn’t keep a straight face and bust out laughing.

Rachel yelped out “Girls! Composure is a large part of being a Beta! Please take this seriously!”

Sure thing, Mom.

As luck would have it, my phone buzzed right then, causing an even bigger scene. I quickly silenced the text alert, and went back to paying attention without checking it. My cheeks were hot red. I couldn’t even focus. What a mess.

Finally the meeting let out. Ree was still in her meeting for another 30 minutes, so Yvonne and I hung out in her room until we were supposed to go out for Mexican. I finally remembered to check my phone.

Hey! I know it’s late notice, but are you free for dinner? We’re getting out at 8:30 tonight.

Sorry, honey. I’ve got girls night plans. I sighed as I sent the text. I really did want to see Mark. Aside from occasionally staying at his place, I hadn’t seen him much since he pledged. They just kept them so busy.

Yvonne heard me. “What’s up?”

“Mark asked me to dinner. I just miss him.”

“So go! I’ve got Ree. You need to get SOME!”

I laughed. I wouldn’t leave her in the lurch like that. Just then, Ree walked in my door. Yvonne quickly spoke to her, “Tell Kathleen to go on a date with Mark tonight. We can wait, can’t we?”

Ree jumped and squealed and clapped. “You’ve GOT to go!” She then pushed me out the door.

I walked to Mark’s room and knocked. No answer. He must have not made it back in yet. Just then I heard a laugh of a girl in the boys hall. I looked back. There was Mark. With Leslie. And his mom.

“Kathleen!” Leslie wailed. “So glad you could make it! We’re just headed out to dinner now! My dad is bringing the car around!”

I shrugged and smiled awkwardly as Mark winked. “Happy to see you, Honey.” He hugged me and kissed my cheek. “Let’s get going. Dad’s impatient.” And with that, we walked out to the car. To meet Mark’s dad.


***Sorry about the delay today, y'all! I'm almost back to my old, annoyingly adorable self! Thanks for your well wishes. I hope the wait was worth it! You guys are the best! :)
Lee***

3 comments:

  1. Help a non-sorority girl out please: What's a swap?

    New Beginning, New Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A swap or mixer is a party that one fraternity holds at their house for a sorority. It usually has a theme, like 80s, ski lodge, cowboys and indians, etc.

      Delete