Thursday, August 7, 2014

Misery sure does love company


Mark’s dad arrived at the door in a huge, black, luxury SUV. Mr. Hart quickly jumped out of the car, “Kathleen! What a pleasure!” He seemed genuinely excited to see me. He smiled widely, and reached out his arms to hug me.

Mark and I sat in the large vehicle’s third Row. His mom and dad in the front seats, and his sister at alone in the middle row, talking to her parents mostly.

Mark leaned into me, “Sorry, I thought you said you couldn’t make it?” He was bewildered, but not upset.

“Yvonne and Ree made me come. Not that I didn’t want to, but I didn’t want to flake on them. So, thank them for this...” I motioned my hands out towards his sister and parents talking.

He cracked a smile. “Look, Mom and Dad will love you. Don’t you even worry.” He pulled me into his chest.

I wish I could give you details about dinner, I just don’t remember them. I know we went to a small Italian restaurant. I sat between Mark and his Mom. I know that whenever I got nervous, Mark would put his hand on my thigh to calm me. I know that I didn’t spill anything. I know that Leslie laughed at my jokes in earnest. I know Mr. Hart smiled at me with bright eyes. I know Mrs. Hart hugged me like she meant it. I know it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  It felt like they really wanted me there. It felt like I was included. Like I said, I can’t really remember much of the events, I just remember the feelings. It was so strange, because sometimes in my own family I can feel like an odd man out. I didn’t feel like that with the Harts. I was a part of their unit. I was a member. They did everything to make me comfortable and included and I totally appreciated their effort.

After they dropped us all off on campus, I walked with Mark to his dorm. “Mark, can I ask you something?”

“Anything.” He smiled kindly.

“Why did you want me to meet you parents so quickly? Because I really like you, but I’m not ready for you to meet my parents.”

He laughed. “Leslie was the biggest imposer of this. She’s wanted them to meet you since she found out the night we slept together.”

I spun on my heels. “YOU TOLD HER?!” I was so furious, embarrassed, confused. Just all these emotions.

He balked. “Well, sure. She asked who I’d been spending time with since I got on campus. I mentioned you. She salivated. A few days later she brought you up. I told her I was smitten since we consummated things.”

“CONSUMATED?! Is that how you view this? You can be such an ass!” We were on the edge of the dorm quad. I’m sure people heard the scene I was making.

“Calm down!” He hushed me. “I really like you. I was excited to tell people. Sorry that I actually thought it was a big deal. Like you didn’t tell Yvonne and Harriett?”

I was boiling. That wasn’t the same. And I didn’t even care to explain why he was totally wrong. “Look,” I snapped. “My dorm is right here. Call me when your head magically dislodges from your damn ass!” I stormed off. Tears starting to well in my eyes.

As I walked in the dorm, my eyes just flushed with tears. It hit me like a wall. I was ugly, terrible hiccupping sobs. I didn’t even notice when I walked in, but Candace was sitting on her bed. She also had the ugly cry face on. We saw each other with our nasty, snotty, ruddy faces and immediately hugged each other. We sat on her bed just crying and nodding not able to formulate words. Until she finally broke the silence. "Today sucked." And it started the whole theatrical display over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment