Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Let the Crazy Show


Sometimes, thing seem easier in your mind than they are in practice, like going to Theta. That seemed easy enough in my cute little head. When the rest of my body joined-chaos.

Gwen and Yvonne were still out, so Harriett came rushing from Chet’s fraternity house to get me. She looked at me with sad, big, eyes. “Do you want to stay out or go in?”

“I am determined to have fun. Take me to Chet!” I was trying to muster as much fake enthusiasm as I could. I knew this was pleasing Ree, so I tried my damnedest to be into this.

When we walked in, Chet was sitting with two of his buddies on a couch. It looked like they were playing some card game. Ree coughed loudly to get the boys attention.

With that, the stood up and offered up their seats. Chet introduced his two friends, Will and Willie. That won’t be confusing. God bless the WASPs and their undying love to such a limited selection of names. And after the introductions, the boys quickly dealt us into their game, which I still don’t understand. Shockingly, I lost terribly both the rounds I played. Thus, I got hammered. Like stumble home drunk hammered.

Ree sweetly took me to bed, and I woke up with a hangover to rival all hangovers. I hadn’t drank much in several weeks. I’d been too afraid. I’m a drunk crier when I’m upset. Oh gosh. I had cried. To Rich. This would certainly get back to Mark when he returned. Oh Lord, I can only imagine. “Dude, that girl lost it. She must be bananas over you.” I can just hear it now.

This just amplified my hangover, and I started to cry more. When does this end? I finally went back to bed, hoping that would be the end of that.

I woke up a few hours later. I put myself together and went to the library. I had some finishing touches to put on my papers, and some serious studying to log before I left for break.

Thanksgiving, we were staying in Birmingham. It was Mary’s year to host the family. Mom and Dad were staying at the Embassy Suite, and I was staying with Ginny at her apartment. Fran, Ginny and I were going to make a cake. It was kind of a tradition. Every year we all got together and made the dessert for Thanksgiving. One year we got really ambitious and made a homemade cheese cake. We will never do that again.

Also, Franny and Ginny’s brother Vince was bringing home his girlfriend for the first time. He lived out in Texas somewhere, so we don’t see him often. But he is pretty smitten with this girl. It’s really adorable. He’s never been like this. I kind of think she’s it. If they had been dating more than 4 months, I might think he would propose.  But it’s too soon. He always said you have to make the girl wait at least 18 months. He said after a year, they’ll start to let their crazy show. And that gives you time to flesh out if you like their crazy enough to stick it out.

As I thought about this, I reflected on myself. I let my crazy show pretty early, I’d say. 3-4 months, I was already well on the crazy train. And at this rate, I wasn’t leaving anytime soon. I’d always prized myself in being collected. My high school friends used to mention how uncomplicated I was. I think that was just my lack of passion, looking back. I didn’t really like much about high school. I didn’t like my classes, I didn’t care about my hometown much, I didn’t really care one way or another about Kenny. I didn’t have anything to act crazy about, because I wasn’t crazy over anything. I just was.

I guess I’m glad I found something to be crazy about. But now, I needed to focus that energy into something more worthwhile. Like my studies. And finishing my application to be Beta Nu Philanthropy chair. Slate was going to pick the potential officers the week after we got back from Thanksgiving. Mom and Fran had both been philanthropy chair, they said it’s a good starting position. You get to meet everyone and become fully immersed in it. Which is what I need. Immersion. Diversion. All the –versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment