Saturday, November 15, 2014

Progress, or something like it.


School really picks up around Thanksgiving. I’ve got three papers, two take home exams and one practical until Thanksgiving break. Luckily, we’ve got the entire week off for Thanksgiving, I’ve got a big week of plans with my friends from high school scheduled. Family stuff will start Thursday, and then I’m coming back to campus Saturday night, so I can spend all day Sunday hammering away at my school work.

Leslie stopped by my room earlier in the week. She said her dad is making strides every day. He’s even returned to work part time. They hope he’ll be full steam by the new year. She’s clearly hurting. I can see it in her eyes. I can also tell she’s not telling me anything. Mostly from my asking. She started to mention Mark one day, and I stopped her. I just can’t handle it honestly. But, when she came by she asked me to a Beta Family outing. We were going to visit the Birmingham Zoo. I was a sucker for zoos. She said everyone else was free on Saturday, so I happily agreed.

It was nice to get off of campus. It’s easy to get trapped in the campus sphere and not quite get a handle on the outside world. And I loved very little more than I loved zoos. My favorite part of the Birmingham Zoo is the giraffe experience. You can feed a giraffe! How awesome is that?

Yvonne was cracking up as the giraffe’s long, dark tongue darted out at her. “This is like the grossest thing, but it’s so fun!”

Nina had a penchant for being crude, and quickly chimed in with “that’s what she said.” Everyone weakly laughed. Is it just me, or is that joke not a little over played?

After the zoo, we stopped into Starbucks. I refuse to let myself enjoy a warm chai latte until after November 1st, it’s like a secret joy I have. This was my first one of the year. And I couldn’t have been more excited. Yvonne and I sat down while the others ordered.

“Rich misses you.” She smiled.

“I miss Rich. I’m sorry I’ve been MIA lately. After you guys effectively took me off babysitters watch, I just wanted to be alone. I think it helped. I am ready to carry on. Thanks for being patient.”

“Girl, it’s no trouble. I mean, I’m a very good friend. I gave Ashley permission to date Allen, I’m letting you cope. Geez, I deserve a humanitarian award of some sort.” She snorted.

“Most humble. Definitely most humble!”

After the zoo trip, Yvonne told me she and Gwen were going to see a movie, but I declined. I see movies as an expensive nap. Because let’s be honest, those leaning chairs can be awfullllly comfy.

My dad and I never really spoke on the phone. I was a totallllll daddy’s girl, but he hates the phone. He doesn’t even have a smart phone. He has an old school, black and white screened Nokia. The man lives in the dark ages. So, I thought with all my alone time, I’d call him and catch up. To say he was shocked is an understatement. We literally talked about everything. He told me about Frances’ new toys. His new project at work. He’s in finance and he’s trying to broker a deal with a large local employer for their 401k. I’m sure he’ll get the account. He’s really an impressive trader. I wish I had his knack for numbers. I’ve just got his asymmetrical nose. He asked about my classes, we talked about my plan of attack for finishing out the semester. He really just kind of screwed my head on about the final push.

After feeling refreshed and refocused, I asked Leslie what she was doing. She said that she, Luke, and a few other people were going down to the Theta a house and going to watch a football game. She offered me a seat next to her on the couch if I wanted to go, so I decided to face my fears. I was going to go to the Theta house.

I walked in, and I felt like I was coming home. But to a home my parents had moved away from many years prior. Like I knew that place, but it wasn’t any longer mine. Like it wasn’t where I was supposed to be.

Just then, Rich saw me and flagged me down. He came up and hugged me in a huge bear hug. “I didn’t know you were coming! Yvonne’s out with Gwen! She’s gonna hate she missed you!” He paused. “I’m so glad you’re back.” He kissed my cheek, like a loving brother.

Just then, I broke into tears. “I don’t know if I can do this!” I wailed. Rich rushed me into a bedroom of his friend before I made even more of a scene.

4 comments:

  1. When will you be posting again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. I kind of haphazardly went on a trip, and kind of left all responsibility behind. I'll be back soon though! Just a case of long weekend wanderlust.

      Delete
  2. Do you mean she was going to the Theta house? Cuz I don't know why she'd feel so uncomfortable going to the Beta house. The Theta house I can understand since that was Mark's frat house. Unless she dropped out of Beta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Good eye! I'll edit that shortly. Thank you!

      Delete