Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bonded


The week leading up to initiation, it was customary for all the pledges to stay the night at the sorority house, kind of like a bonding thing. We’d broken into three obvious groups. The girls who studied, ate, and went to bed early, the girls who stayed up all night watching movies, and the girls who were trying to find ways to sneak out.

Yvonne, Gwen and I found ourselves in the studying, eating and sleeping group. Because, well, I love my sleep. I told Mark I wouldn’t see him much, but he didn’t mind. He was so busy with PCP stuff, school, and his dad. He already knew Leslie was going to be my big, so he wasn’t totally shocked or surprised when I told him. Yvonne was having a harder time without seeing Rich much. Rich and Yvonne had coupled off, hard. And sometimes it was hard to find one without the other. I was glad to finally get her to herself. I did miss Ree throughout all this though. ODP wasn’t initiating until the following week, so we kept missing each other. However, I was glad to finally get to talk to Gwen more. I just didn’t want her to feel excluded. I knew how that felt, and it sucked. Being so shy, it’s easy to get tossed around, and I knew that.

“So, Gwen, how’s your super genius boyfriend? Are y’all still well?” Yvonne didn’t waste no time.

She kind of wobbled her head. “It’s been weird. I keep flirting with guys I know I shouldn’t, and I keep seeing pictures of him with girls in suggestive poses. I think we are both just too nice to break up. But we need to.”

I sighed. “I’m sorry. That sucks. Well, if you ever need a girls night, or a cheering up, give me a call. I’m always down for gummies, chick flicks, and wine.”

She agreed to call us more often, and we promised to invite her out. She seemed to be warming up a bit, but I couldn’t help but think something else was going on.

Being initiated on a Monday meant we’d slept at the sorority house since the previous Wednesday. We were about ready to kill one another. Luckily, as Sunday night rolled around we all were seeing light at the end of the tunnel. We had been asked not to go to any of the fraternity houses or parties over the weekend. With rare exception, we all just stayed in, watched movies and baked. The few girls who did venture out got caught and were read the riot act. They were even told they might not get initiated. I knew better than to try to sneak out. Ginny and Fran told me it was serious business.

Finally, initiation was upon me. I had earned my stripes. And felt like I could toss my cookies. I wasn’t nervous until everyone kept telling me not to be nervous. Do you know how nerve wracking that is? I just got tons of emails, texts, notes, etc about not being nervous. Well, you people aren’t helping me with that any!

We lined up outside the chapter room and were told to remain silent. And we did. As we walked in, I was scared out of my mind. And when it was over, I felt totally relieved. I had done it. I was a Beta Nu. No more “pledge,” no more “new member,” no more worrying. I was a full-fledged, card holding member! And now I felt like I was unstoppable.

Mom, Mary and Ginny came to the ceremony. They took me, Leslie, Mrs. Hart and Yvonne out to dinner. I asked Gwen but she had an exam on Tuesday. I couldn’t fault her. At dinner, it was so neat, all of us were sisters now. We were all united by this totally weird thing, that we all really loved. And even better—Mr. Hart was being released to outpatient care the next morning!! It was seriously the best celebration I’d had, in a long time.

Mrs. Hart pulled me aside after dinner, as I was waiting for Mary to get the car. “Kathleen, dear. I know something happened with you and Marcus, but I must say, I am thrilled you two worked it out. He has never seemed happier than he is with you. I know that I can’t speak for him, but I think he loves you quite a bit. And I’m so glad you brought out such happiness in him.”

I smiled. “Mrs. Hart, it was just a bump. And I am so glad he picked me. He’s the most sincere, fierce, annoying, adorable guy I’ve met. I do love him, an embarrassingly large amount. And I hope he knows that. I’m very lucky to have him. And fortunate to have had your family welcome me.” I hugged her tightly as Leslie rounded the corner.

“Whatever Mom.” She said sarcastically, “Just go ahead and adopt her. You love her more than me. Whatever.” We all laughed. And I was content. Wholly and completely content.

3 comments:

  1. TBH I don't know realistic this is. Even a college aged man would not be so willing to take back the love of his life after finding out that immediately after the break up that she ran back to her ex and was planning to spend the weekend with him. How could Kathleen say that she loves Mark when she had no problem running to another man? She doesn't know what love is and is very selfish. Would be more realistic if Mark would have completely ended their relationship once she told him about Kenny. The love from the family is over the top too. If my man said the things Kathleen said to Mark during his time of need I wouldn't be crying over him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're not enjoying the blog. It is a work of fiction. And as such something here and there may not be realistic. But thanks for your opinion.

      Delete