Friday, October 17, 2014

Homeward Bound


The weekend after initiation was fall break. We got Friday off, which basically meant nothing to me, as I already had Friday’s off. However, it still felt nice... Mark’s dad was finally settling in well, Mark and I were getting over our bump in the road, I was a Beta!!!  Gwen was hanging around more. Things were really coming together.

Mark and I sat in the library Wednesday night, we both were writing papers. “Hey.” I said quickly and forcefully to get his attention.

“What?” He barked.

I rolled my eyes. “Well, I was going to ask you to see if you wanted to come home with me this weekend, but never mind.” I crossed my arms, with all the southern sass I could muster.

He cocked his head and sighed. “I would love to. I’m sorry I snapped. I’m just worried about this assignment, and your attention span is like that of a gnat right now. How about you go back to my room and I’ll meet you there when I’m done?”

He had a point. I’d finished my paper about 20 minutes earlier, and I’d done nothing but aggravate him since. I nodded. “How about I just see you tomorrow? I’m going to bed. I’m beat. I’m leaving at 2. That’ll get us to the coast by 6:30. My parents are meeting us just outside of town for dinner.” He stood up as I packed up my things. He kissed my cheek, and I went to bed.

After class, I hustled to get all my bags packed and ready to go, and Mark met me by the front of my building. In his car. “What’s with the car?” I asked, my own keys in hand.

“Well, my car is bigger, and I like driving on the interstate. You know that. I figured you’d like a reprieve.”

While true, I didn’t know how we’d fair with him driving in my small, back woods small hometown. But I didn’t fight it, I just hopped in the car, and off we were.

Around 5pm Mark started to get restless. I offered to drive the rest of the way, but he said he just needed a coke and a chocolate bar to get him going. I gladly took any opportunity to buy gummies, and we were back on the road again. We had settled into the quiet ride nicely. I looked at him, happily munching away on his Snickers. “Hey, thanks for coming.” I said genuinely as I patted his knee.

He dropped the candy (GASP! I know!) and held my hand. “Thanks for asking me. I really am excited to see your mom again, and meet your dad.”

“And Frances!” I piped in.

“Yes, and the dog, too.” He knew I was crazy about my dog. She is a black lab, and the greatest girl there ever was. She’s the background on my phone, and half my facebook profile pictures include her. Only one so far has had Mark...

I directed Mark as we got closer to town. We were meeting my parents at this hole-in-the-wall, but delicious, seafood place. I had been craving gulf shrimp since the minute I left. We got there before my parents, so I went ahead and put our name on the list for a table. It was tiny, and almost always had a wait. We were finally seated, just as I saw my dad rounding the corner.

“Daddy!” I squealed. I ran over to him and gave him a big hug.

“Hey Pumpkin!” He kissed my cheek. “This Mark?” He shook his head in Mark’s direction.

“The one and only.” I smiled.

Mark, ever the gentleman, stuck his arm out to my father. “Mr. Hoover, so nice to meet you.”

My dad grinned, obviously impressed. “Same here, son. Now, let’s sit down. Your mother went to the ladies room, she’ll find us.” Dad clearly said to me.

As we settled into dinner, it honestly couldn’t have gone better. Yes, Mark wasn’t a Mississippi State fan like Dad had hoped, and no Dad wasn’t big into fishing like Mark. But, they really seemed to be getting along. Much better than Dad and Kenny ever did. After dinner, Mom told us she had made caramel cake and it was ready for us at home. I didn’t need to hear any more to be motivated to go home.

In the car, I debriefed Mark about what might happen when we get home. “Now, you’ve really impressed Dad, so keep up the good work! And he’ll undoubtedly show you his sports signature collection. It’s his thing. Act enthused. He can go on for a long time. And I’m not sure what room they’ll stick you in. My dad’s study has a bathroom connected, but the bed’s smaller. The guest room doesn’t have a door to the bathroom, but it’s closer to me. Just see what happens.”

Mark laughed. He clearly thought I was being a bit obsessive. But had he met me? I was as neurotic as they come...

Frances cuddled up to Mark immediately. She just laid her precious puppy head in his lap and never moved. It was so adorable it made me sick. Also ironic, as Frances could not have been the least bit concerned with Kenny despite his endless attempts to befriend her.

Finally, after cake and some extensive baseball card chats, it was time for bed. “Mom, where should Mark put his bags?”

She chuckled. “In your room?” She said it as if it were the only logical response. As if I’d asked the question millions of times previously and gotten the same response. I was floored.

“Right.” I nodded. Not wanting to disrupt whatever body snatcher had clearly taken my very southern, very proper mother.

After we put his things in my room, my dad called me down to the kitchen. I bounded down the stairs as Mark brushed his teeth and prepared for bed.

“Kathleen,” He looked at me somberly. “He is a really good kid. I’m glad you found him.” He kissed my cheek.

“Thanks, Dad. He’s been a real great guy.”

“Then treat him as such. None of this Kenny nonsense any more. You pick one.”

Ouch. I guess Dad had a point. Last time they saw me, Kenny was hot on my trail. “That was a  dumb thing I did. I know. Mark’s it, I think. I see him being it for a while. Or for as long as he’ll have me.”

Dad laughed. “Well, let’s hope it doesn’t wise up too soon.” I smacked his shoulder at the obvious insult.

“Thanks, Dad. Goodnight!”

2 comments:

  1. I just love her and Mark together.
    Do you have set posting days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a doll. For sure.
      I tryyyy to post on Mondays and Thursdays. However I'm not awesome at scheduling. Expect a new post soon! 😄

      Delete