Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pretend like it's the weekend


I woke up in Mark’s arms feeling rather lovely, if I do say so myself. Then, I had a moment of sheer panic! He was going to see me with sleepy-face-makeup (I didn’t really worry with removal the night before—I was a bit ahemmm, engaged) and morning breath!!! I could feel my heart starting to race as I was thinking about ways to get out of this tiny XL twin (thanks dorm life) without waking him up. I finally decided there was no helping it and just gave up. No sense worrying about things out of your control, really.

After about ten minutes of panic followed by another two or three minutes of self-reassurance, I decided to check the clock. 8:48am. I didn’t have class, but I didn’t know what Mark’s schedule looked like on Friday’s so I decided it was a safe bet to go ahead and start stirring. If he didn’t have class he could go back to sleep, and If he did I won best sleepover buddy surprise of waking him on time for his 9:30am.

I squirmed away from him slowly and he yawned himself awake. “Good morning...” He said it breathlessly, but with a smile.

“Hello Handsome.” I said sweetly. “I’m going to get going, but I wanted to tell you I had a good time last night.”

He sat up quickly. “Hey, why the rush?” He looked concerned.

“I didn’t know if you, umm,” I was taken aback. What guy had ever wanted someone to stick around in the morning? “Do you have class?”

He grinned. “Nah, I’m free Fridays. Do you have class?” He looked at me expectantly.

“Nope.” I looked at him flatly. This was going to get weird. We’d both just admitted we were free, however I wasn’t sure if he actually wanted me around much longer. I never knew of a boy loving company for this long.

“Well, come on then. Let’s go get breakfast. How does Original Pancake House sound?”

I grinned. I loved OHOP. A lot. Few things made me happier than the pecan pancakes. “That sounds spectacular.” I paused. Thinking of how to put what I was about to say delicately. “I do need to, umm, freshen up, though.”

He laughed and handed me some of his clothes and some mouth wash. He said I couldn’t get done up for breakfast because it spoiled all the fun.

After breakfast he parked his car kind of far away from my and his dorms. We walked slowly, hand in hand. “Kathleen, thanks for coming with me this morning. I had a great time.”

I blushed. “Mark, that’s very sweet, but I should be thanking you. I love OHOP and it was a very kind gesture.” I was never good at these kinds of conversations. Yes, I thought the boy should pull out all the stops for me at first, but I never knew exactly how to show my gratitude without seeming too insincere or too thankful. Neither of which is good.

“You’re welcome.” He smiled, pleased with himself.  He pulled our hands towards his face. “Such little, dainty hands you have.” He laughed.

I burrowed my head in my chest. I wasn’t insecure about much in regards to my looks. I was fair skinned, dark haired, average build with a PHENOMENAL chest (if I do say so myself). However, my little, itty, bitty baby hands always made me cower with disgust. They were so much unlike the rest of my features. They mimicked my personality more than my body. I was definitely insecure about my feelings, my friendships, my relationships, my intelligence, but my looks just were.

“I do.” I said in a small voice.

He sensed my lack of enthusiasm for the topic and quickly looked away and dropped my hand. Awesome, I thought. I walked in silence trying to recover some semblance of the familiarity we had shared last night and this morning at breakfast.

We got to the door of my dorm hall and he stopped, grabbing my arms as I continued to trudge forward. He pulled me in with his hands placed strongly around my wrists. “Kid,” He was stern, yet endearing. “I’ll call you later tonight.”

I nodded, not sure if I should believe him. He then took his left hand off my arm and lifted my sinking chin. “I will call you later.”  He kissed my cheek and lingered. “Have a good day.”

I walked into my room upset with myself. Here I was doubting myself with all I had, and this guy was being nothing but adoring. He was nothing short of wonderful to me. And I was being such a brat. I didn’t know what to do. So in true pessimistic fashion, I took a nap.

I woke up around 1pm with a hard knock on my door. I jolted awake and ran to answer it. It was my Rho Gamma. She was giving me the list of houses I’d been invited back to. We were invited back to a maximum of 4 houses on the second and third nights. Philanthropy Night was tonight and the third party, Skit Party would be Saturday afternoon. I politely tried to get rid of the Rho Gamma as quickly as possible, because I didn’t want to possibly cry in front of her in case my invitations didn’t look like I wanted them to.

Kathleen Hoover:

1)Omicron Delta Phi

2) Delta Alpha

3) Beta Nu

4) Chi Tau

And just like that I did a little happy dance and ran to text Ree and Yvonne to see what they had been invited to. We agreed to meet on the quad deck in ten. And I also could detail my rendezvous with Mr. Mark, and also explain how much I messed it up as he walked me home...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey gang! I just wanted to check in and see how everyone was liking or disliking the blog! I have received quite a bit of traffic, but not many comments, so I want to know what I can do to enhance your experience and maybe create a fun environment. I'm all about making new buddies and finding new ways to procrastinate, so by all means--help a sister out!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns or moral dilemmas, please feel free to leave me a note in the comments section. I look forward to hearing from you all! :)
--Lee

9 comments:

  1. I love it!! Can't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad! I know I am addicted to reading "my blogs."
      Yeah, I call the blogs that I follow mine. I feel like they are my friends! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying it too, however I would like to see her gain more self confidence, some of the awkwardness is painful to read. All in all, I really enjoy her story about pledging for her sorority, I didn't know so much was involved! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was this much involved until I went through it myself. I am hoping Kathleen comes out of her shell a little bit. Maybe sorority life and her fun new beau will help!

      Delete
    2. She does have some insecurities, but what college freshman doesn't?

      Delete
  3. Your blog is awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog. It's great!! Keep up the good work. My only piece of advice is to stay consistent with your posting schedule. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'll definitely try. Sometimes life happens though... And I hope you guys like it enough to be patient with me when/if it happens!

      Delete