Monday, July 28, 2014

The Luckiest


Running to the crowd of Beta Nu girls in the front of sorority row was the most fun I’d had in a long time. Everyone was so excited; there was just this feeling of happiness.  Everyone was smiling. Everyone was laughing. There were songs, cheers, balloons, banners, face painting. It was like a carnival. And I felt like I was the guest of honor.

I sprinted towards the group. Leslie flagged me over to her. She was holding up a big sign that read “Beta Welcomes Kathleen!” She hugged me and told me how excited she was to see my name on the bid list earlier that morning. “I might have called Mark right that second to tell him how excited I was!” She smiled and hugged me again.

There was a lot of commotion, but at that moment, there was a stillness, that was probably only in my head. And I saw a clearing. I saw Aunt Mary, Mom, Fran, Ginny and a mysterious woman around my mom’s age. My heart sank. That had to be Mrs. Hart. I told Leslie I was going to go see my family. “Great! I’ll come with you. It looks like Mom is already over there.”

Well, that solved that mystery. I bounded up to my mom happily. “Mom! Thanks for coming! I am just so excited you’re here!”

She hugged me tightly. “I’m so proud and happy for your, Leeny.” My family called me Leeny, but I didn’t really like it when friends called me that. It was a family thing. And I liked it that way.

Fran and Ginny came over and told me all about how they were so excited and wanted to help me in any way possible. They also handed me little gift bags with some of their old Beta stuff. Mary came up and gave me a huge hug and kissed the top of my head. “Girlfriend, you are about to have the most fun of your life. I am so happy for you!”

After the commotion settled, Mrs. Hart and Leslie walked up cautiously. “Mom,” Leslie began, “this is the sweetest new member we’ve got, Kathleen!” Leslie hugged me as she presented me to her mother.

I reached out my hand, but Mrs. Hart engulfed me in a hug. “Oh, sweet girl, we’re sisters now! Sisters hug!” She was a fierce hugger. I can see where Mark gets his affection from. He’s constantly holding my hand, or strumming his fingers across my thigh. It’s not even wantonly; he just does it out of habit.

I smiled at her after we stopped hugging. “It’s so nice to meet you. Leslie and Aunt Mary have said wonderful things about you.”

She nodded. “They both speak highly of you. I wish Mark were here. He is just tickled to death with you. And now I can see why.”

I blushed. My mom interrupted, thankfully she was unaware. “Ladies, let’s head down to the house. I cannot wait to see where my baby will be spending her next 4 years!”

We all happily, almost floating, walked down to the Beta Nu house. It was a grand house with 6 large, white Corinthian columns, a porch with about a dozen rocking chairs, and a grand blue front door. This time, when I walked in with my mom, aunt, cousins, and Leslie, I felt like it was my house. It was so weird. I had been so nervous to be there before. Walking in, I saw my name on a big banner. “You Beta Believe You’re Home.” And beneath it, all 45 girls names were listed. The house was decorated with banners, food was everywhere; it was magical.

I ran to find Yvonne quickly. “How ya feeling?” I asked her cautiously.

She smiled brightly. “I feel like this is where I am, so I’m going to make the best of it.” I hugged her and asked her to come meet my mom and family.

Finally, after the dust settled, my mom and Mary went back to Mary’s place and Fran and Ginny kindly offered me booze for A’s, only if I promised not to share it or divulge the source, I was in my bed. Candace was at some other Delta’s room gushing over how awesome the Delta house is.

I heard a knock on the door around 9:45. Luckily, I was wearing my cute PJs. I got out of the bed, and snuck up to the door quietly and cautiously. I opened the door and saw the sweetest man holding a bouquet of flowers. “Hey,” I smiled instantly.

“Well, good evening, Miss.”  He handed me the flowers as I let him in. “I’m sorry I missed your run. Mom said you were absolutely wonderful. I knew you’d impress her.”

“Don’t be goofy.” I put the flowers down on my desk. “Thank you for the flowers.” I kissed him on the cheek. We sat down on my bed together.

“Kathleen, I can’t stay the night, but I wanted to come by and say something.” He was nervous. He was biting his lip and picking at his finger nails. I’d never seen him like this.

My mind started racing. What was he coming to tell me? And why couldn’t he stay the night? His face was ruddy. He wouldn’t look at me. The only conclusion I could draw was he wanted to end things. I just don’t know why he’d choose now. Luckily I had plenty of things to occupy me. The worst is getting dumped when you have nothing to occupy your time. You just wallow. I won’t be like that. I’ll just bounce into Beta Nu stuff. And school. Oh god! What about Leslie!? She’s going to hate me now. Her brother can’t even stand me for a month. I started flicking my nails.

“...this just makes sense, don’t you think?”

Oh dear. I missed his whole speech. Crap. He’d have to dump me again. No, I’ll just go along. “I mean, if that’s how- that’s how it’s got to be, I guess.” I was muttering.

“What?” He was stunned.

“I mean, if that’s what you want...” I was dejected.

“Kathleen, if you don’t want to be my girlfriend, you don’t have to. But, I’d really like you to.” He looked sad.

I laughed. “Of course!” I couldn’t get any more words out. Mark just looked at me stupidly. I finally caught my breath. “I thought you were dumping me. I didn’t even really hear a word you said.”

He gave out a big burst of laughter. “Your loss. It was an awesome speech.”


***Please excuse any editing errors. I just finished all my course work about 3 hours ago, I'm a bit brain dead. I'll check back and try to tinker with things as I notice them. I would normally let this marinate a day or two. Sorry, y'all!


Also! The view count is out of this world. I am shocked and totally flattered, guys! You all are the best. :)
Lee***

3 comments:

  1. Like your story so far you're doing an awesome job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate that, you're very sweet! Thanks for visiting my little blog, and hurry back :)

      Delete
  2. It's all love and sunshine at first. I am also wayyyy behind on my blog reading and I need to get caught up on yours ASAP!

    ReplyDelete