Thursday, July 17, 2014

Soul Mates


After the whirl that was skit night, I called my mom. I was feeling really confused, and I knew she wanted me to be a Beta, and I needed to be reminded that I’d have a lot in common with all my family members if I did this.
“Sweetie, when I walked into that Beta house all those years ago, it smelled like home. I just had this sense of knowing. I wanted to be there. I wanted to be part of it. And, I won’t lie and say I don’t want that for you. But if you feel at home somewhere else, go there. Be happy.”
“It’s not that I don’t feel at home at Beta. I do. It’s so cool that all of the women in our family are Betas. It’s awesome that I would share that with them. I’m just overwhelmed. Other houses have this exciting draw, too.”
“Make a decision to make you happy. Daddy and I love you no matter what. And Mary will be happy for you. She’ll have to return all the teal and gold stuff she bought you, but that’s fine.” She giggled. Mary bought me a ton of items in Beta Nu colors when I started college. I told her I didn’t want it until I got a bid. Otherwise, it would seem weird.
“Mom, thanks. I really appreciate your help.”
She didn’t say anything. I could tell she was nodding. She did that a lot, she would nod on the phone. Like, how was I supposed to respond? I’d gotten used to it, but it was a weird habit. “So,” she began cautiously, “what about your new boyfriend?”
I sighed. I could really kill Leslie for mentioning Mark to Aunt Mary. “He isn’t my boyfriend, but he’s a really good guy, Mom. I think you’d like him.”
“I just want you to be happy. That’s all.”
Just then Yvonne and Ree bounded into my room, and I let my mom go. “So, what about Allen?” I proded Yvonne. We hadn’t seen her much lately because she was a total bookworm when classes started.
“He just doesn’t make me super excited. So, if he calls I let it ring out. I one word his texts.”
I cocked my head. “What happened?”
She looked down. “He, well-he, okay, he licks a lot when we make out. And I just, I couldn’t. It’s not attractive. No one wants a bath!” Ree and I busted out laughing. We then kept making licking faces at her all night, because maturity. 
Luckily Candace had left the dorm for the weekend because she said she rested better at home, and she needed her beauty rest for recruitment. I’m guessing whoever this Jarrett guy had more to do with it than anything else.
Ree got quiet when we were joking about Allen. “What’s up?” Yvonne asked.
“Well, I just-“ she paused. “I just feel lonely. You guys already paired off. And I’m just reading cosmo in my room on Friday night.”
I took the wine away from Ree. “Hey, stop! You’re more important than Mark and wayyyy more important than Sir Licks A Lot. Call me if you’re lonely. Mark can wait.” I never knew people as confident as Harriet would get so upset and lonely. She always had guys fawning over her. She just never seemed too interested. I just figured she didn’t care enough. Obviously she was looking for something special. It was nice to know that someone else who gave an aura of insane confidence felt inadequate at times.
Yvonne looked at her seriously. “Ree, you’re gorgeous, fun, and smart. You intimidate girls, not to mention boys. You’re the whole package. You don’t want someone who can’t respect all the wonderful qualities you have.” She nodded determinedly. “Now, let’s get back to wine night.”
We were talking and taking Cosmo and Buzzfeed quizzes all night. Mark text me after he got in from the fraternity houses, but I told him it was girls’ night. 
He text back with a perfect response. Well, I won’t say I don’t miss you. But I can share. I probably won’t see you tomorrow, you have pref parties and I’ve got to go to the houses. Leslie said you were on the list for tomorrow. So, you can rest easy, princess.
You’re sweet. You didn’t have to pry on my behalf. But I appreciate it. Good night, Prince Mark. Good luck tomorrow. See you soon ;)
Ree saw the smile plastered on my face. “Seriously?” she whined. “Where did you find the world’s sweetest guy?”
I shrugged my shoulder. “You. You dragged me to that weird garden party. And then I met the ‘bullshitter.’”
We all laughed and went back to our quizzes. You know, I think Carrie Bradshaw was right. Girlfriends are our soul mates. There are just boys we have fun with. But I was happy to be having fun with Mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment