Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rough Ranking


Standing in front of Beta Nu for Philanthropy Night was totally frightening. I had everything to lose. My mom kept telling me it didn’t matter which sorority I joined as long as I was happy, but I knew she would be devastated if I didn’t end up running to Beta Nu on bid day. On bid day, every chapter gathers up their new members and they run to their new sisters. It’s kind of a weird tradition when I think about it, but I guess it’s lasted this long, we might as well keep it up.

Beta Nu opened their door just as Alpha Delta and Chi Tau had before that night. Beta Nu was my 3rd stop and ODP would be my last. Ree had been at Alpha Delta with me, but we wouldn’t be in any more of the same parties. Yvonne and I would be at the ODP party at the same time. I wasn’t able to talk to them at the party, but just having a friendly face really helped.

I was ushered in by a new girl. A girl I’d never seen before. She introduced herself as Hannah and we went to sit down in a corner. I had gotten used to this by now. The girl would sit by me, and she would ask me more about myself and what philanthropic things I did in high school. She’d spark a common interest, and then she’d say how the chapter’s philanthropy meant so much to her, just like the common thread we had.

Beta Nu’s philanthropy was Safe Place. Luckily, I’d never known someone who needed the use of such facilities, but I knew that it was a big problem. I expressed how noble I thought the cause was to Hannah and told her that my mom and aunt, who I quickly mentioned were alumna, had done many clothes and food drives for the cause.

Hannah lit up. “Mary is such a big help to us during our Safe Place events!” she gushed. “I am so glad I got to meet you. I hadn’t put two and two together that you were her niece. She’d mentioned that she had a niece going through recruitment, and she told us just how lovely you are!”

I smiled politely. I appreciated that Hannah acted surprised to know my identity, when I’m well aware of the orchestrated dance that got me to her at the front door. “Mary is such a fun aunt! I am really lucky to have her. She and my mom are super close, and it’s made me want to have sisters that much more.” I was laying it on thick. I knew it. Hannah probably knew it. But I knew I had to play this game if I wanted to be a part of this.

Just then, Leslie came by with the President. “Hey girl!” she said so familiarly. I blushed a bit. I was sure Mark hadn’t told her that we’d slept together, but it didn’t make me feel any less weird about the whole ordeal.

I smiled, trying to hide the bit of embarrassment I was feeling. “Hey y’all! It’s so good to be back again!”

The President, Mary Ann, then nodded knowingly. “I just wanted to personally come tell you how glad we are to see you today. We’re so excited to get to know you and show you how much we love Beta and how much I know you could grow to love it, too!”

“Thanks so much! I’ve had a lot of fun so far.”

Leslie then motioned to me and Hannah. “Come on, let’s go to the craft table.” Mary Ann carried on and went to speak to the other Potential New Members (PNMs). “So, Kathleen, tonight all the PNMs are going to plant an aloe seed and we’re going to give them to the women and kids at Safe Place. We thought Aloe would be a fun idea because it’s a really hearty plant, it doesn’t require a lot of care, and it helps heal. And that’s what Safe Place is about.” This was the most labor intensive of the crafts I’d taken part in do far for Philanthropy night. At Delta Alpha I wrote a get well card to a child with cancer at St. Jude’s and at Chi Tau I stuffed a bear with stuffing to be given to a kids who were having cleft palate surgeries.

After my craft, Hannah passed me off/introduced me to another girl, Lilian. Lilian was a sophomore and was a tad bit enthusiastic for my tastes. It was sweet she was so excited by everything, but at the same time, it was a bit much. Finally, as she was telling me for the umpteenth time how much she “totally loved” intramural sports, the lights flickered and that was our cue to exit.

My last house was ODP. I never expected to like ODP much because it was the party girls. Yes, I liked to go to parties, but I wasn’t the life of the party. I was a silent observer. I just was there. I was an innocent bystander. I wasn’t someone actively seeking out the attention or rip-roaring fun at a party. However, I when I went into ODP that night, it felt like I really found some place I might like.

I spoke to 5 different girls. Each one seemed genuinely excited to talk to me. They all had a vested interest in what I was saying. And most importantly, their philanthropy was the local no kill animal shelter!  How sweet was that?! They had service events once a month to go walk and play with the dogs. Umm, I’m just saying-I could definitely get into that.

As I was decorating a bandana reading “Please Take Me Home!” for a sweet puppy to wear at adoption events, I realized I was actually having a lot of fun. It wasn’t forced like I felt it was at Beta. Sometimes when I was around the Betas I felt like I needed to be on my very best behavior. I had this urge to straighten up and look attentive. It was more like I was in class than having fun with friends. With the ODP girls it seemed like I could really let loose and have fun!

When it came time to rank, I knew in my heart of hearts that I wanted ODP more than Beta. I ranked them first. I put Beta second. Chi Tau and Alpha Delta were both fine. I didn’t have anything against them. I just really felt like I could get the most out of my college experience with ODP or Beta. I knew I couldn’t tell my mom or Aunt Mary that I hadn’t ranked Beta Nu first. They wouldn’t understand. I was equally excited and worried when I clicked submit on my screen to officially rank Beta as NUMBER 2.

When I got back to my room after ranking (and maybe stopping for an ice cream cone at the campus store), I found Candace attacking some gangly, blonde, fair skinned, bean pole with her mouth while lying on her bed. I yelped when I saw the scene.

She coolly sat up pushing the guy away from her. “Oh hey, Kathleen. This is Jarrett. I invited him to stay the night. I figured you’d be with Ree or Mark.”

I nodded, quickly packed a bag and headed to Ree’s room. Ashley answered the door. I looked at her pitifully. “I’ve been sexiled.”

No comments:

Post a Comment